Okay, you heard it here first! The second SEVHAGE Guest Reader Session/Democracy Day Reading…
Award winning poet, scholar and deep philosopher, Musa Idris Okpanachi, author of the collections The Eaters of the Living (2007) and From the margins of Paradise (2012) is billed to have a reading and guest interactive session in Makurdi by 4pm on the Wednesday 29th of May, 2013. Tentative venue: The Benue State University Second Campus, ALGON Hall.
Okpanachi, an Associate Professor and widely published poet has had his poems appear in Vultures in the Air: Voices from Northern Nigeria (1995), Kunappi (17(2) 1995 Denmark). His collection of poems, Silence of Time is archived in Africana Library, University of California, Berkeley, ‘Code of Silence’ (a poem) was broadcast over the BBC (London) Arts and Africa programme, 1995; his short stories, Daybreak and Time Stops had appeared in Gombak Review, 1997 (Malaysia). He had featured in Five Hundred Nigerian Poets Vol 1 (2003) and in Pyramids (2008). Okpanachi is listed in Bernth Lindfors (1990-1997) Black African Literature in English (James Currey). He was published in Presence Africaine (Paris) 1997. His collection of poems, The Eaters of the Living (2007) won the ANA/Cadbury Prize 2008 and was shortlisted for the NLNG Nigerian Prize for Literature in 2009. He has featured at different readings and events prominently that of the Abuja Writers’ Forum (where he read with renowned short story writer, Uwem Akpan).
Musa Idris Okpanachi is a much revered scholar and writer whose works have been seen as fresh, deep, insightful and beautiful. He is regarded by such contemporaries as Hyginus Ekwuazi (also shortlisted for the NLNG in 2009) as a writer of wondrous dimension and a worthy competitor; Elnathan John (shortlisted for Caine Prize 2013) as a passionate considerate and humble scholar/writer. Most of his students from the University of Maiduguri attest to his qualities as a teacher, critic and writer.
Okpanachi features as the second SEVHAGE Guest Reader after Prof. Unoma Azuah. He would be reading from his works, discussing writing, the Nigerian situation and having an interactive session with the audience. All this in addition to the celebration of Democracy Day. The event is in collaboration with the Writers’ League of the Benue State University, Makurdi, Purple Silver and the Benue Association of Nigerian Authors.
Copies of his books would be available on sale at the venue at N500 only!
Make your calendar free for 4pm 29th May, 2013 and don’t wait to be told. Cheers!
- LITERARY BUZZ: PURPLE SILVER OPEN MIC SESSION (25th May, 2013): READING (sueddie.wordpress.com)
- Cross My Soul (A Poem) By Leah Sewuese Anyo (sueddie.wordpress.com)
- LITERARY BUZZ: PURPLE SILVER OPEN MIC SESSION (25th May, 2013): DISCUSSION (sueddie.wordpress.com)
- Poetry Sharing Event (dragonplume.wordpress.com)
- What does poetry mean? A talk with Michael Odom (nickowchar.wordpress.com)
- Upcoming poetry event (dragonplume.wordpress.com)
- Evening of Tributes for a Literary Genius (anabenue.wordpress.com)
- Purple Silver Hosts Poet Su’eddie Vershima Agema at Reading in Makurdi (anabenue.wordpress.com)
- Say the word: London’s performance poetry scene (onefinestay.com)
- Su’eddie Vershima Agema Reads at Purple Silver: Personal Thoughts (sueddie.wordpress.com)